PJC Board gets new regents, good news on summer enrollment
Published or Revised May 28, 2014
Charles Lynch and Dr. Clifton Wilkerson were sworn in as new members of the Paris Junior College Board of Regents Monday evening, to serve six-year terms in Place 4 and Place 3, respectively.
Outgoing regents Roma Street and Daigone Garner were recognized. Street was in attendance and received a crystal bowl from Board Chairman Curtis Fendley as a thank you for her seven and a half years of service.
The board received good news on enrollment for the first summer semester, currently 1,849, which is an increase over this time last year. PJC’s summer scholarship for all graduating high school seniors in the PJC service area has been well received. Currently 125 high school senior scholarships have been awarded and those students are now registered. There are about 225 more applications to be processed.
In other business, the Board:
- Received a financial report from Vice President of Business Services Teri Zamora, showing revenues and expenses in line with the budget.
- Approved the audit engagement letter to have McClanahan and Holmes, LLP, conduct PJC’s 2013-2014 annual audit.
- Approved a fee of $30 for administering the College Level Examination Program. The test awards college credit in subjects such as history or English for those who pass it. This is particularly attractive to high school AP students who do not pass their subjects in high school. The CLEP provides an excellent opportunity for them to gain that college credit.
- Approved the bid of Vertical Communications of $179,897 to provide a Voice Over Internet Protocol system.
- Rejected two bids received for institution-wide vending, as they did not include the PJC-Greenville Center.
- Received the annual licensure report filed with the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board.
- Set a meeting for 11:30 a.m. on June 24 to canvass votes from the June 21 run-off election for the board of regents Place 7, and set the budget workshop for Tuesday, July 8.
- Approved the reassignments of Amber Musgrove as Upward Bound student advisor, effective June 1, and Angel Castro as women’s softball coach, effective Aug. 18.