Programs of Study
Arts & Humanities
Degree Type: AA
Semester Credit Hours: 60
First Semester - 15 SCH
COSC 1301 - Introduction to Computing
HIST 1301 - United States History I
MATH 1332 - Contemporary Mathematics
EDUC/PSYC 1300 - Learning Framework
ENGL 1301 - Composition I
Second Semester - 15 SCH
DRAM 1310 - Introduction to Theater
HIST 1302 - United States History II
PSYC 2301 - General Psychology
SPCH 1315 - Public Speaking
ENGL 1302 - Composition II
Third Semester - 15 SCH
ENGL 2322 - British Literature I
GOVT 2305 - Federal Government
SPAN 2311 - Intermediate Spanish I
ENGL 2331 - World Literature
PHYS 1303 - Stars and Galaxies
Fourth Semester - 15 SCH
ENGL 2323 - British Literature II
GOVT 2306 - Texas Government
SPAN 2312 - Intermediate Spanish II
HIST 2321 - World Civilizations I
PHYS 1304 - Solar System
- Active Listening - Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Critical Thinking- Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Instructing - Teaching others how to do something.
- Learning Strategies - Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
- Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work-related documents.
- Speaking - Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify, arrange, and evaluate the effectiveness of a thesis statement.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify Standard Written English (SWE) and apply correct forms of English most widely accepted as clear and proper.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify the specific parts of an essay, distinguish appropriate modes of communicating an idea, and use transitional words and phrases effectively.
Texas wage data: workers on average earn $54,430; 10% of workers earn $28,990 or less; 10% of workers earn $91,340 or more. US wage data: workers on average earn $63,200; 10% of workers earn $33,660 or less; 10% of workers earn $122,450 or more.
AA Minimum: Teacher’s Aide; Bookkeeper; Editor/Publisher/Author; Media Assistant; Social Media Manager; Retail Manager; Human Resources Assistant; Desktop Publisher; Legal Assistant; Marketing Specialist; Public Relations Director; Technical Writer; Journalist; News Reporter; Copywriter; Advertising Manager. BA Minimum: English Secondary School Teacher. MA Minimum: English Language and Literature Teacher (post-secondary).
High School Endorsements
Arts & Humanities
Transfer Path / Requirements
- Student should refer to the catalog of the institution to which he/she plans to transfer for degree requirements.
Texas A&M Commerce
- A student completing the Paris Junior College curriculum is considered Core complete at Texas A&M Commerce.
- *No more than 60-66 sch from PJC will be applied to a bachelor degree at TAMU-Commerce. Another 60 or more must be completed at TAMU-Commerce.
- For the English major, ten advanced courses are required by TAMU-Commerce: ENG 333 (Technical Writing) plus nine courses in literature, linguistics, and writing.
- All students who are considering teaching in Texas high schools or middle schools must follow guidelines set for teacher certification, such as taking MATH 1314.