Programs of Study
Office Information Specialist
Degree Type: AAS
Semester Credit Hours: 60
First Semester - 15 SCH
ACNT 1303 - Introduction to Accounting I
ITSC 1305 - Introduction to PC Operating Systems
ITSC 1309 - Integrated Software Applications I
POFT 1321 - Business Math
POFT 1329 - Beginning Keyboarding
Second Semester - 15 SCH
ENGL 1301 - Composition I
ITSC 2321 - Integrated Software Applications II
MATH 1332 - Contemporary Mathematics
POFT 1319 - Records & Information Management
POFT 2301 - Intermediate Keyboardin
Third Semester - 15 SCH
BUSG 1301 - Introduction to Business
BUSI 2301 - Business Law
BUSG 1304 - Introduction to Financial Advising
ITSW 1304 - Introduction to Spreadsheets
POFT 2312 - Business Correspondence & Communication
Fourth Semester - 15 SCH
ITSW 1310 - Introduction to Presentation Graphics Software
ECON 2302 - Principles of Microeconomics
MUSI 1306 - Music Appreciation
SPCH 1321 - Business & Professional Communication
POFT 1365 - Practicum - Administrative Assistant and Secretarial Science, General
- Answer telephones and give information to callers, take messages, or transfer calls to appropriate individuals.
- Greet visitors or callers and handle their inquiries or direct them to the appropriate persons according to their needs.
- Create, maintain, and enter information into databases.
- Use computers for various applications, such as database management or word processing.
- Operate office equipment, such as fax machines, copiers, or phone systems and arrange for repairs when equipment malfunctions.
- Customer Service
- Demonstrate effective business communication skills.
- Manage business information using appropriate software.
- Perform records management activities.
- Perform information processing activities.
- Perform office management activities.
- Prepare and use financial information.
- Demonstrate employability and workplace skills.
Texas wage data: workers on average earn $36,330; 10% of workers earn $21,740 or less; 10% of workers earn $53,500 or more.
Executive secretary; Administrative assistant; Secretary / office assistant; Office manager; Information / record clerk; Financial clerk.
High School Endorsements
Business and Industry
Additional Educational Opportunities
BAAS Degree (Bachelor of Applied Arts & Sciences)