Programs of Study
Diagnostic Medical Sonography
Degree Type: AAS
Semester Credit Hours: 60
Prerequisites- 18 SCH
MATH 1314 - College Algebra
BIOL 2401 - Anatomy & Physiology I
BIOL 2402 - Anatomy & Physiology II
PHYS 1405 - Elementary Physics I
ENGL 1301 - Composition I
First Semester - 12 SCH
DMSO 1110 - Introduction to Sonography
DMSO 1260 - Clinical - Diagnostic Medical Sonography/Sonographer & Ultrasound Technician
DMSO 1302 - Basic Ultrasound Physics
DMSO 1341 - Abdominopelvic Sonography
DMSO 2305 - Sonography of Obstetrics/Gynecology
Second Semester - 14 SCH
PSYC 2314 - Lifespan Growth and Development
DMSO 1261 - Clinical - Diagnostic Medical Sonography/Sonographer & Ultrasound Technician
DMSO 2351 - Doppler Physics
MUSI 1306 - Music Appreciation
DMSO 2353 -Sonography of Superficial Structures
Third Semester - 12 SCH
DMSO 2362 - Clinical - Diagnostic Medical Sonography/Sonographer & Ultrasound Technician
DMSO 1342 - Intermediate Ultrasound Physics
DMSO 2342 - Sonography of High Risk Obstetrics
DMSO 2341 - Sonography of Abdominopelvic Pathology
Fourth Semester - 4 SCH
DMSO 2366 - Clinical - Diagnostic Medical Sonography/Sonographer & Ultrasound Technician
DMSO 2130 - Advanced Ultrasound and Review
Program Affiliation and Consumer Information
- Critical Thinking
- Personal Responsibilities
- Time Management
- Lifelong Learner
- Detail Oriented
- Interpersonal Skills
- Physical Stamina
- Apply effective oral, visual, and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of human sectional anatomy relative to normal and abnormal sonographic imaging.
- Apply ultrasound principles and instrumentation relative to imaging and image quality.
- Demonstrate appropriate ergonomic scanning applications.
- Demonstrate the ability to provide patient care while following ethical standards, HIPPA guidelines, and maintaining professionalism.
- Recognize and use resources to enhance self-development and professional growth.
Texas wage data: workers on average earn $81,055; 10% of workers earn $56,543 or less; 10% of workers earn $117,043 or more.
Hospitals; Physician Offices; Outpatient Care Centers; and Medical and Diagnostic Laboratories.
High School Endorsements
Additional Education Opportunities
May pursue a Bachelor's Degree in ultrasound.