Skip To Content

Explore PJC

Information For Military Veterans

Published or Revised February 17, 2021

Paris Junior College is approved for veterans training under the provisions of various federal and state laws. Veteran affairs are administered through the Office of Student Financial Aid located in the Alford Center. Veterans who are applying for VA educational benefits are advised to call VA to inquire and verify VA eligibility. The telephone number of the VA Regional Office is 1-888-442-4551. Apply for benefits at:

Also required are a “Certificate of Eligibility” and/or “Statement of Benefits” and an official copy of the DD-214. Returning Veterans should complete the Request For VA Education Benefits form each semester to continue to use your entitled veteran benefits at Paris Junior College. Returning students should complete the Request For VA Education Benefits form. A covered Veteran/dependent is any individual who is entitled to educational assistance under chapter 31, Veterans Readiness and Employment, or chapter 33, Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits.

For assistance or more information, contact: Katie Barnes Veterans Specialist 903-782-0371

Supplemental Information

The college does not participate in the VA advance payment program or pre-certification. Students receiving VA benefits must promptly notify the Financial Aid Office regarding any course(s) dropped. VA will require students to repay any benefits received for courses that are dropped. VA students may not repeat a course for which they have received a passing grade (D or higher).

The Veterans Administration will only pay for courses that are required for graduation and are listed on the VA student’s official degree plan. Eligibility will be lost if the cumulative grade point average is less than 2.0 for two consecutive semesters. VA will only pay for remedial course work that is required for graduation. A copy of marriage license, if married, and a Declaration of Marital Status, Form 21-686c (obtained from VA Regional Office), are required. Copies of dependent children’s birth records are required.

Students attending under Chapter 35 must submit a completed application for Survivor’s and Dependents Educational Assistance, Form 22-5490 (obtainable from Financial Aid Office), and other documentation as required by the VA Regional Office. Additional procedures are explained in the Financial Aid Office. Eligibility to receive Veterans educational benefits is determined by the Veterans Administration.

Excused Absence for Active Military Service

A veteran's benefits terminated because of unsatisfactory academic progress will be reinstated when the veteran's cumulative grade point average is at least a 2.0.

Supplemental Information

Upon notice from a student, an institution of higher education shall excuse a student from attending classes or engaging in other required activities, including examinations, in order for the student to participate in active military service to which the student is called, including travel associated with the service.

A student whose absence is excused may not be penalized for that absence and shall be allowed to complete an assignment or take an examination from which the student is excused within a reasonable time after the absence. An instructor may appropriately respond if the student fails to satisfactorily complete the assignment or examination within a reasonable time after the absence. Education Code 51.9111(c); 19 TAC 4.9(a)–(b)

Promotional Banner