Skip To Content

Explore PJC

Information For International Students

Published or Revised December 05, 2016

We are happy to learn of your interest in Paris Junior College. We welcome the opportunity to consider your application for admission.

International applicants who wish to study at Paris Junior College as an F-1 or M-1 student must complete the following steps in order to be considered for admission.

English Proficiency

Applicants must submit an official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score report. The minimum scores accepted are Internet-based: 63; computer-based: 173; paper-based: 500.

Applicants may also meet the English proficiency requirement by:

International student applicants from some English speaking (official language) countries may be exempt from these requirements.


Applicants must complete and submit a Paris Junior College International Student Application. Applicants who have a Social Security number must complete the portion of question two that asks for your Social Security number. If an applicant does not have a Social Security number, please skip this portion of question two.


Applicants must submit their official high school transcript (in the native language) along with a certified copy that has been translated into English. The high school transcript must indicate the completion date and be equivalent to a U.S. high school diploma.

Foreign Transfer Credit

An official course-by-course evaluation of foreign credentials must be completed before transfer credit will be considered. Education documents must be evaluated by a recognized credential evaluation agency. Contact International Student Admissions, Advising/Counseling, Paris Junior College at 903-782-0426 or email .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) to obtain recommendations for approved evaluating agencies. Students are responsible for arranging for the course-by-course evaluation and are expected to pay all costs of translation and/or evaluation of foreign credentials. Evaluations by a professional evaluation services are subject to review and approval by the college. Evaluations do not guarantee courses will be accepted for credit.

Financial Support

Applicants must have sufficient funds available to pay all of their necessary expenses as indicated in application and be able to pay for travel expenses to and from their country of citizenship.

Applicants should understand that Paris Junior College does not provide financial assistance for international students, and Homeland Security does not permit international students to work, except under unusual circumstances.

Applicants must complete the appropriate “Declaration and Confirmation of Financial Resources” form. A bank or financial institution must verify this document and affix their seal to the document or submit the appropriate “Declaration and Confirmation of Financial Resources” form with an official bank statement. (Must be U.S. dollars.)

Submission Of Documents

All required documentation must be originals or certified copies (no photocopies or faxes). Mail all required documentation to:

Paris Junior College
2400 Clarksville St.
Paris, TX 75460

If you have any questions, you may email Natasha Whitaker at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

Your admissions packet should include all of the following information.

SEVIS I-20, Notification, Deposit, SEVIS I-901 Fee, Passport and Visa


Students wishing to study in the United States, who intend to return to one’s respective countries, should apply for the “F-1” or “M-1” visa according to the SEVIS I-20. SEVIS I-20 is granted upon official notice of admission to a college or university in the United States. A SEVIS I-20 is called the Certificate of Eligibility.


Acceptance notification will be mailed to your permanent address.


When you receive your acceptance letter, submit a $500 deposit. The Deposit will be applied toward the first semester costs. Applicants transferring from another institution within the U.S. are not required to submit this deposit. The $500 deposit is non-refundable unless the applicant submits documentation that they were unable to leave their home country.


Students must obtain a passport from their country of citizenship.


Upon acceptance, student must obtain an F-1 visa from a United States Consulate or Embassy. In addition, students must make travel arrangements to Paris, Texas, United States of America.

SEVIS I-901 Fee

Upon receipt of notification that an applicant has been accepted to Paris Junior College, and received their SEVIS I-20, applicants must pay their $200 (U.S. currency) SEVIS fee. Applicants must pay this fee prior to applying for their F-1 visa. In addition, applicants must present SEVIS fee receipt and their SEVIS I-20 issued by PJC to the U.S. Consul in their country to obtain a United States F-1 Visa.

Paying SEVIS fee via the internet:

If you lose your computer-printed receipt, you must wait three days before you can access the electronic record of payment.

Paying the SEVIS fee locally by Western Union Quick Pay Service (The local payment option is only available in countries where Western Union offers the Western Union Quick Pay Service):

The completed Western Union receipt will serve as immediate proof of payment of SEVIS I-20 fees for visa interview and for entry into the U.S. at the port of entry.

HB 4189 Bacterial Meningitis Vaccination

In compliance with State of Texas HB (House Bill) 4189, all applicants seeking admission at a Texas institution of higher education, including transfer students, must provide written documentation of having received a bacterial meningitis vaccination at least 10 days prior to the first day of class.

Evidence of the applicant having received the bacterial meningitis vaccination from an appropriate health care provider must be submitted with the International Student Application.

Evidence of having received a bacterial meningitis vaccine by an appropriate health care provider must indicate the date that the bacterial meningitis vaccine was administered, health care provider’s signature, and signature date on the healthcare provider’s professional letterhead.

Obtaining Your Visa

Applicants must present their Form SEVIS I-20, Declaration of Finances, and SEVIS fee receipt to a U.S. consulate in order to obtain an F-1/M-1 visa that will enable the student to enter the United States. Applicants must keep a copy of your Declaration of Finances with their immigration documents.

Applicants will need the following documents when apply for an F-1 visa:

After you obtain your F-1 visa, you must arrange for travel to Paris, Texas, United States of America.

Transfer International Student Admission

Transfer In

Applicants who are in the United States and wish to transfer to Paris Junior College must have their International Student Advisor at their current college or university complete the Transfer Recommendation form and return the form to the PJC Counseling/Advising. Prior to requesting your current International Student Advisor to complete the Transfer Recommendation form, you must complete the top portion.

International Students transferring from another United States College or University must submit the above-required admission documents. In addition, transfer international students must submit the following documents.

Applicants must request that their current college or university release their SEVIS records before Paris Junior College can issue a new form I-20. Applicants who have been admitted and departed the United States for a temporary absence will use their PJC I-20 to reenter the country.

*Note: Applicants must complete the top portion of the Transfer Recommendation Form prior to presenting the form to their current International Student Advising.

**Sponsors who are United States citizens or permanent residents must complete USCIS form I-134 (available from the International Student Office).

Transfer Out

PJC International Students who wish to transfer to another college or university inside the United States must complete a Transfer-Out Release form. PJC International Students’ SEVIS records will not be release until they have completed and returned the “Transfer-Out Release” from to Counseling/Advising.


Prior to arrival at PJC, applicants should contact the Housing Office to request a housing application. All questions regarding student housing should be directed to: Director of Student Life, 2400 Clarksville St., Paris, Texas 75460, or you may phone 903-782-0402.

Paris Junior College offers air-conditioned residence hall rooms for both men and women on space available bases.

Initial Steps Upon Arrival To Paris Junior College

1. Degree-seeking students, including international students, must take the TSI Assessment prior to enrollment. Test results will determine the particular courses for which a student may register. Some transfer students may be exempt from a section (2) of TSI Assessment.

2. Register for the appropriate course as indicated by your TSI Assessment results and degree plan.

3. Submit the following documents to the Counselor/Advisor within fifteen (15) days of the program start date.

Maintaining Your Visa Status

As a condition of maintaining F-1/M-1 visa status, International Students must complete a minimum of 12 semester hours each semester that they are registered during the fall and spring semesters. In addition, international Students are required to complete a full course of study that leads to the achievement of a specific educational objective.

F-1 and M-1 students who register for less than 12 credit hours in a semester must be reported to the Department of Homeland Security. Students who are or will be F-1 or M-1 students should never drop below 12 credit hours without first consulting the International Student Advisor. International students are considered out-of-status and subject to deportation if they fail to maintain the minimum semester hour requirement. There are some exceptions to the minimum semester hour requirement. However, International Students must seek prior approval from a Counselor/Advisor to obtain this exemption. Contact a Counselor/Advisor in the Counseling/Advising Center for more information.

Semester credit hours earned by “placement exams” or while concurrently enrolled at another institution of higher education will not apply to the 12-semester-hour credit requirement. In addition, International students are only permitted to apply one course (three semester credit hours) delivered via Internet or a distant learning format to the 12 semester credit hour requirement.

Distance Learning Class Restrictions

F-1 international students are only permitted to apply one course (three semester credit hours) delivered via internet or a distant learning format to the 12 semester credit hour requirement.

Students who do not adhere to this restriction are considered to be out-of-status.


International students may loose their F-1 status for any of the following reasons:

International students may qualify to apply for reinstatement if the international student meets the eligibility requirements. Contact a Counselor/Advisor in the Counseling/Advising Center for more information.


On-Campus Employment

International students who have a valid, current F-1 visa may be eligible for part time (20 hours or less) employment on campus. F-1 International Students must have completed at least one-full academic year prior to being eligible for on-campus employment. F-1 International Students must maintain their status to remain eligible for on-campus employment.

Off-Campus Employment

F-1/M-1 students are not eligible for off-campus employment except in particular circumstances. International Students should speak with a Counselor/Advisor in the Counseling/Advising Center for more information.

International Student who seeks off-campus employment without appropriate approval are considered out-of-status.

Note: Prior to seeking on-campus or off-campus employment, International Students must speak with a Counselor or Advisor.

Health Insurance

International students are required to maintain personal health insurance while attending Paris Junior College. International students are responsible for obtaining their own health insurance. Proof of Insurance must be submitted prior to registering for classes. International student should contact a Counselor/Advisor in the Counseling/Advising Center for more information.

Re-entering The United States

Prior to leaving the United States, international students should meet with a counselor/advisor in the Counseling/Advising Center to ensure that they meet re-entry requirements. International Students will need the following documents for re-entry into the United States at the Port-of-Entry:

The Application

Promotional Banner