Programs of Study
Jewelry Technology (AAS)
Degree Type: AAS
Semester Credit Hours: 60
First Semester - 15 SCH
PSYC 1300 - Learning Framework
JLRY 1301 - Jewelry Techniques I
JLRY 1302 - Jewelry Techniques II
JLRY 1303 - Jewelry Techniques III
JLRY 1348 - Jewelry Repair/Fabrication I
Second Semester - 15 SCH
COSC 1301 – Introduction to Computing
JLRY 1309 - Casting I
JLRY 2333 - Casting II
JLRY 1349 - Jewelry Repair/Fabrication II
JLRY 1341 - Stone Setting I
Third Semester - 15 SCH
ENGL 1301 - Composition I
JLRY 1342 - Stone Setting II
JLRY 1343 - Stone Setting III
JLRY 1344 - Stone Setting IV
JLRY 2335 - Precious Metals I
Fourth Semester - 15 SCH
MATH 1332 - Contemporary Mathematics
ARTS 1301 - Art Appreciation
JLRY 2336 - Precious Metals II
JLRY 2337 - Precious Metals III
JLRY 2338 - Precious Metals IV
- Create jewelry from gold, silver, platinum
- Smooth soldered joints and rough spots
- Customer and Personal Service
- Jewelry Repair and Fabrication
- Stone Setting
- Knowledge of industry tools and equipment
- Demonstrates skills in metal fabrication techniques: layout, sawing, filing, drilling, finishing, polishing, soldering, shaping, forming, doming, wire rolling and drawing.
- Demonstrates skills in casting techniques: wax carving, injecting, spruing, treeing, investing, and casting centrifugally and by vacuum.
- Demonstrates skills in jewelry repair: sizing, chain repair, tipping, beading, pronging, and plating.
- Demonstrates skills in setting such as: single and multiple round and fancy-cut stones into various mountings styles.
- Demonstrates knowledge of industry practices and ethics
Texas wage data: workers on average earn $38,590; 10% of workers earn $23,820 or less; 10% of workers earn $57,500 or more.
Retail jewelry sales professional; jewelry store manager; Bench/manufacturing jeweler; Jewelry designer; Jewelry lab grader/quality assurance technician.
High School Endorsements
Business and Industry
Additional Educational Opportunities
Students pursuing an AAS in Jewelry Technology might also want to pursue a BAAS degree or Certifications in Gemology or CAD/CAM.