Can I Take Online Classes?
Published or Revised September 14, 2021
Paris Junior College offers many courses online. Students may take these courses by submitting work online while working through our online learning management system. Students will still be required to take some exams in a proctored environment, usually at one of the PJC testing sites in Paris, Greenville or Sulphur Springs. Online classes often fit into busy work schedules when traditional classes cannot, but students should keep in mind that some basic computer skills are needed for online work. Students should have these skills before enrolling in any Internet classes since the classes are designed to teach the course content, not computer skills. Students should be comfortable with the following items at a minimum.
- Students should have a computer and a reliable Internet connection capable of accessing video.
- Students should be able to send and receive e-mail with attachments.
- Students should be able to perform Internet searches and write with a word processing program.
- Students should have adequate typing skills and should be comfortable reading materials online.
- Students should have a computer system with the following requirements:
- Processor that is Intel Core i3 or better or AMD Ryzen 5 or better or equivalent processor (CPU)
- Operator System is Microsoft Windows 10 or Macintosh OS 10.4 or higher
- Memory (RAM) of 4 (basic), 8 (good), 16 (best) GB of RAM
- Storage of 250 GB or higher internal storage
- Video/Graphics is an Integrated or Discrete grpahics processor capable of 1366 x 768 High Definition resolution or better
- Monitor for laptop has a 13" to 17" display or for desktop has a 19" to 24" widescreen flat panel display
- Mouse has a built-in or external trackpad, wireless and/or USB, 2/3-buttons, optical mouse
- Sound card or built-in audio and speakers
- Webcam is either an external USB device or built-in
- Network of 802.11ac WiFi capability or better
- Browser is Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or Microsoft Edge
- Warranty of three years on-site (best) or depot warranty (good) with accidental damage service highly recommended
- Optional Accessories - a 16 GB USB flash drive or higher
Paris Junior College uses Blackboard for online courses.
The PJC technical staff will help as much as possible in making online learning a pleasant experience for students. Basic course access problems can be addressed by the Help Desk at 903-782-0496 or e-mail the Help Desk. For more technical problems, contact Mary Holbrook Mims at 903-782-0226 or contact her by email. See our Virtual College of Texas Individual Compliance Certification.