FAQ on internet courses in Blackboard
Published or Revised August 31, 2021
Frequently Asked Questions about internet courses in Blackboard
I am having a technical issue with my online class, whom do I contact?
The Paris Junior College help desk provides support for Blackboard. If you are experiencing issues with McGraw Hill Connect, a MyLabs product (MyAccountingLab for example), Aplia or other publisher provided content, please contact the publisher. If you are experiencing an issue with Blackboard, you may need to contact the PJC help desk.
- Before calling, please try the following:
- Ensure that you have an internet connection. If your internet connection is down, please contact your internet service provider.
- Try a different browser. The most common browsers are: Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari, or Microsoft Edge.
- If you can’t get to Blackboard because the PJC website is down, please go directly to Blackboard at https://parisjc.blackboard.com.
- Make sure that your browser is up to date. It may also help to clear your browsing history.
- If you are still having difficulty after trying the items above, you should contact the PJC help desk at (903) 782-0496 or email email@example.com.
I am having trouble comprehending course material and have questions about due dates. Whom do I contact?
First, you should contact your instructor. Instructors are available via email or telephone. PJC also provides tutoring in many subject areas. Call 903-782-0211 for tutoring.
My computer crashed. What can I do?
Computer access is available at the following PJC locations. Technical issues are not an excuse to miss deadlines. This is why assignments should not be put off until near the deadline.
- The Learning Center
- Applied Sciences Building, Room 150
- Greenville Center Library
- Sulphur Springs Center Library
I sent my instructor an email. When should I expect a response?
PJC instructors strive to be prompt in returning emails; however, there are no instructors with responsibilities limited only to teaching online. If the email was sent Monday through Thursday, you may expect a response within 24 hours. If the email was sent Friday through Sunday, you should expect an answer on Monday.
I am planning to take a vacation during the semester. Will this be an issue?
Online classes are no different than traditional courses in the fact that they require frequent attendance. Most courses will have assignments due each week. Even if you are on vacation, you will need internet access and time for completing your assignments before the due date. Also, most courses will require proctored exams. Check with the instructor of the course.
Are online courses easier than traditional face-to-face courses?
No, internet courses can be even more demanding than traditional face-to-face courses. Online courses require that students be self-motivated and dedicated to completing the course.
Are computer skills required for taking an online course?
Yes, if you are not comfortable with the following computer-based activities, you should consider carefully before taking an online course:
- Sending and receiving emails
- Navigating the internet
- Using Word
- Adjusting browser settings
- Opening and saving files
- Attaching files
For some online classes, additional items may be required as listed below. The college help desk can assist with most of these, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Using common application software (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Installing browser plug-ins (examples: Adobe Reader, Adobe Shockwave, Adobe Flash, Java)
- Creating folders
- Installing and uninstalling software
- Basic computer terminology
What are the system requirements for taking an online course?
Students should have a computer system with the following requirements:
- Processor that is Intel Core i3 or better or AMD Ryzen 5 or better or equivalent processor (CPU)
- Operator System is Microsoft Windows 10 or Macintosh OS 10.4 or higher
- Memory (RAM) of 4 (basic), 8 (good), 16 (best) GB of RAM
- Storage of 250 GB or higher internal storage
- Video/Graphics is an Integrated or Discrete grpahics processor capable of 1366 x 768 High Definition resolution or better
- Monitor for laptop has a 13" to 17" display or for desktop has a 19" to 24" widescreen flat panel display
- Mouse has a built-in or external trackpad, wireless and/or USB, 2/3-buttons, optical mouse
- Sound card or built-in audio and speakers
- Webcam is either an external USB device or built-in
- Network of 802.11ac WiFi capability or better
- Browser is Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari, or Microsoft Edge
- Warranty of three years on-site (best) or depot warranty (good) with accidental damage service highly recommended
- Optional Accessories - a 16 GB USB flash drive or higher
How can I access the library databases from off-campus?
Go to the Paris Junior College homepage at www.parisjc.edu.
- Select Quick Links, then Library Services.
- You are now at the Library homepage.
- Under Explore the Library Links (on left side), click on Databases (Off-Campus Login).
- User Name is your PJC Student ID number.
- Password is your birthday (mmddyyyy).
How can I look up books in the library catalog to complete my research paper?
The online catalog can be accessed via the PJC website library page:
- On the Library Homepage, find Explore the Library Links (on left side), and select the link for the online catalog.
- Click on the center tab titled Search, then select your search limiter (title, author, keyword, etc.).
How do I download the App to access the library databases from my cell phone?
The database app can be accessed via the PJC website library page:
- On the Library Homepage, the database apps appear midway down the page.
- There is an app for iPhones and one for Android phones.
- Click on the appropriate link and follow the directions.